Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Homemade Hummus

I love hummus. There are lots of varieties in the grocery store these days, but I really like to make my own when I have time. I always start with the same basic ingredients and add whatever I feel like or whatever I have on hand to kick up the flavor.

For this batch of hummus, I kept it pretty simple:




1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed

2 cloves garlic

2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1-2 tablespoons fresh parsley

juice of 1 lemon

salt - 1/2 tsp, or to taste

pepper - 1/2 tsp, or to taste

red pepper flakes - tiny pinch (if you like a little kick, like I do)


Toss the garlic and parsley in the food processor, chop into tiny bits.

Add everything else and pulse until it all comes together into a smooth mixture. You may need to add more olive oil if it's too dry.



Spoon into a pretty bowl and serve with veggies, pita chips...whatever strikes your fancy.

The possibilities are endless when making your own hummus - add in roasted red peppers, kalamata olives, or chipotle peppers. Switch up the herbs, too - basil, cilantro, oregano. So many tasty combos.

No comments:

Post a Comment