I've been slightly obsessed with Trader Joe's fresh salsa these days, so I thought I would try to make my own version of it. I noticed cider vinegar in the list of ingredients and figured that was the magic maker. I was right. I would have never thought to use it in salsa, had it not been for TJ's. So here is what I chopped up and threw in the bowl...
- 3 jumbo homegrown tomatoes
- 1 small vidalia onion
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 3 cloves garlic (mmm...garlic. use less if you're not a huge fan.)
- handful of cilantro (1/4 cup maybe???)
- juice of 2 limes
- salt, pepper, cumin...to taste (about 1/2 tsp of each...I've been known to use a lot of seasoning ;)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
I refrigerated it for a few hours, and the flavors mixed really well. We had it with tacos tonight, and will be enjoying the rest of it this week. So good and fresh!
Lastly, here are my cute little pickles, just marinating away. I've never pickled anything. I can't wait to find out how they turn out. Won't know for another 4 days. I'm not used to waiting that long to taste test. Maybe these should be called Pickles of Patience instead. Or...not. Thanks for the recipe, Trina!
Yay for summer produce!