Sunday, January 23, 2011

Friday of Finds

There are two very dangerous places located within the same plaza as my office - Value Village and Kenrick Antique Mall. They may not be dangerous by the average person's definition. But for a treasure hunter like me, they are dangerous indeed. Lately, I've been trying to stay away. But some days I can just hear them calling my name.

Last Friday was one of those days. I had nothing to do for lunch, but I needed to get out of the office for a bit. So I headed to the antique mall. And I hit the jackpot. It was one of those shopping excursions where you find so many great things, and at such great prices, that your heart kind of races the whole time and you get a little panicky. And you really, really wish someone was with you to witness the great stuff you were finding. Or does that just happen to me???

First I spotted this gold eagle convex mirror...


It's definitely my favorite out of the loot I brought home. I've seen these in a lot of beautiful rooms lately, via design mags and blogs, and I've really been wanting one of my own. This one is a little beat up, but nothing some glue and a little gold touch-up paint won't fix. It's a really good size - about 20" in diameter. I thought it was a good deal at $50, considering I've seen high end versions selling for as much at $500 online. It's going to be a great statement piece!

Here are a couple of the photos that sparked my convex eagle mirror love...

Abode Love

Elle Decor



Next up is this mirror....


I'm not exactly sure where I'll use it, but we still have plenty of blank wall space to fill in our house. So I'm sure I'll find the perfect spot for it. It was just too pretty and too much of a steal to pass up. $24...can you believe it?! It's about 3' tall and really solid. I LOVE the shape. And the mirror is slightly antiqued, which is my favorite thing about it. I'm not sure if I'll paint it or leave it as is. The dark wood is actually really pretty and would work well in our house. We'll see.

I also picked up these 4 mirrors in an antique silver finish. I'm going to hang them somewhere in a grid. Not sure where yet. And I might paint them. At $1.50 each, I just couldn't pass them up.


And last, but not least. These 8" x 10" frames are going to get painted and filled with botanical prints from this great book I found at an estate sale last summer. I bought 12. I'm thinking I'll hang them, also in a grid, above the living room sofa. I'd like to add more interest to that wall and brighten things up a bit, and I think these would do the trick. They ranged from $1.50-3.50 each. The ones with a cardboard arm/easel/stand thingie on the back were $2 more than the ones without. Hmm...didn't realize they were such vaule adders. Oh well, they still only cost a total of $30ish, and since the book was $3...it's going to be one cheap project!


There was more I wanted to grab that day, but I decided I'd practice some restraint and leave a few treasures behind. Hopefully they'll be waiting there for me, for the next time I find myself answering the call...the call from the antique mall.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Abode Love reference Malinda! I snagged my eagle convex mirror at an Antique store for a great price too! You found some GREAT items- gotta love a little treasure hunting on your lunch break!

    abodelove.blgospot.com

    ReplyDelete